Fantasy Debutante Commissioner's Blog

February 25, 2014

The Lovely Miss Cooper

Filed under: Uncategorized — The Commissioner @ 1:17 pm

20 EXTRA POINTS for any team lucky enough to have drafted The Commish’s new favorite deb! She’s sweet, smart, GINGER, and it’s not everyday (or really ANY day) that a debutante of the season goes out of her way to introduce herself to The Commissioner! Simply fabulous!

11 Comments »

1. If I remember correctly your favorite deb from last year also had red hair. Do I see a trend developing? Or do you just miss Amy Pond as much as I do?

Comment by The Perfect Gentleman — February 27, 2014 @ 8:47 am

2. For those looking for court information, the Advocate now has the information submitted by Atlanteans and Mystery on line as well as in today’s print addition. The Times-Picayune has Sue Strachan’s columns up through Elves of Oberon posted online with the Atlanteans ball photos under the photographer Josh Brasted’s gallery. Hopefully Friday’s print edition will have Knight of Momus court.

Comment by Northshore Sustainer — February 27, 2014 @ 10:44 am

3. Is there some reason the Queen’s Dad (Atlanteans) wasn’t in tails?

Comment by The Headmistress — February 27, 2014 @ 8:22 pm

4. Any reason Miss Momus’ hair looked… uh… undone in the TP photos? Please, please say it ISN’T a side pony…

Comment by Bathurst — March 2, 2014 @ 1:28 am

5. I noticed that; looked not QUITE like a side pony….maybe a MODIFIED one; and she’s on my team! Can’t afford the penalty points.

Comment by The Headmistress — March 2, 2014 @ 7:39 pm

6. Really?! I gotta go look! It’s been so long since the dreaded side-pony season. I was hoping it had gone away.

Comment by The Commissioner — March 2, 2014 @ 9:52 pm

7. She had her hair up, but they needed to put it down to accommodate the crown. She really had no idea that she was to be queen.

Comment by Masker — March 3, 2014 @ 11:08 pm

8. I didn’t know that queens of carnival appeared in their ball attire before the ball! Interesting article; however, some very snarky responses.

Comment by The Headmistress — March 4, 2014 @ 12:48 pm

9. “Is there some reason the Queen’s Dad wasn’t in tails”?

Well, yes. When one has ‘cast in’ in costume one changes into regular clothes when it is time to leave and head back to the Queen’s Supper. It could therefore be inferred that he was in costume during the ball and in mufti as he was preparing to leave when the photo was taken. In my day one usually changed into tails or at least black tie but for quite a few years a suit or blazer and flannels have become common.
    Is it really possible that anyone who had attended Carnival Balls might be unaware of this?

Your moldy admirer,
    Erb Hamil

Comment by erb hamil, scribe — March 4, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

10. “Is there some reason the Queen’s Dad wasn’t in tails?”
    I declaimed on this but my words did not get picked up by this infernal comment function, so I will try again!

Well, yes. When one has ‘cast-in’ and appeared in costume during the ball one changes into regular clothes when about to leave for the Queen’s Supper. In my day this was usually white or black tie but for quite a few years a business suit or blazer and flannels has become more prevalent. One can therefore infer that the Queen’s Father had been in costume and had changed into mufti when the photo was taken.
    Is it really possible that anyone who has attended Carnival Balls could be unaware of this?

Your moldy admirer,

Erb Hamil

Comment by erb hamil, scribe — March 4, 2014 @ 1:19 pm

11. Dear Erb Hamil: Probably so, but as one who has NEVER attended a Carnival Ball in New Orleans, I was not aware. I apologize for my ignorance!

Comment by The Headmistress — March 4, 2014 @ 6:16 pm